Ankle pain refers to any kind of pain or discomfort affecting any part of the ankle.
Ankle Pain is more common in people who relate to the following:
- Aged 65 and over
- Previous ankle injury such as fracture or Tendonitis
- Individuals who are obese or overweight
- Individuals who play sports or do activities that involve jumping, or quick changes in direction.
- Athletes who participate in sports like basketball, soccer, football.
Common Causes of Ankle Pain
- Ankle sprain
- Osteoarthritis and Rheumatoid arthritis
- Flat feet
- Certain types of infection like cellulitis or osteomyelitis
Physiotherapy Treatment for Ankle Pain
Physiotherapy is an effective treatment for ankle pain of various causes. Depending on the condition and accompanying presenting symptoms as well as the individual’s needs, it may include strengthening exercises focusing on the muscle around the ankle and improving range of motion and flexibility. Modalities such as ultrasound therapy and Interferential current may also be used for inflammation and pain.
Electrical stimulation may also be used to stimulate nerves and muscles around the ankle.
Additionally, balance exercises and orthotics recommendations may be given to help prevent the recurrence of injury.
If you have any type of ankle pain, contact us to book an appointment with one of our Physiotherapists today!