What is Urge Incontinence?
Urge incontinence is the sudden and intense need to urinate, which often leads to involuntary urine leakage. There are usually only a few seconds in between the urge to urinate and the release of urine.
What are the Risk Factors for Urge Incontinence?
- Advancing age because of the weakened bladder control
- Women are more likely to experience urge incontinence than men
- Certain conditions like Parkinson’s disease or Multiple sclerosis
- Smoking, which can cause bladder irritation
- Obesity, which can put pressure on the bladder and pelvic muscles
- Menopause and pregnancy
- Bladder- related problems like bladder stones, tumors, overactive bladder, and interstitial cystitis.
- Certain medications like diuretics which can increase urine production
- Stress and anxiety
- Constipation and Enlarged prostate
Can Pelvic Physiotherapy help with Urge Incontinence?
Yes, pelvic physiotherapy can certainly help with urge incontinence issues.
- Strengthening of the pelvic floor muscles these muscles can help improve bladder control and reduce episodes
- Bladder retraining to help improve bladder control which then helps reduce urgency
- Electrical Stimulation to help retrain and improve the strength and coordination of the pelvic floor muscles
- Lifestyle modification to help manage stress
- Behavioral Technique, which includes strategies like distraction techniques urge suppression techniques.
- Biofeedback helps gain control over the pelvic floor muscles
How can I find a pelvic health physiotherapist near me?
We have 8 locations with pelvic health physiotherapists to help you.
- Pelvic Health Physiotherapy Etobicoke – Triangle Physiotherapy Etobicoke
- Oakville Pelvic Health – Triangle Physiotherapy Oakville
- Pelvic Health Physiotherapy North York – Triangle Physiotherapy North York
- Mississauga Pelvic Health – Triangle Physiotherapy Mississauga
- Downtown Pelvic Health – Triangle Physiotherapy King West
- Uptown Toronto Pelvic Health – Triangle Physiotherapy Lawrence Park
- Pelvic Physiotherapy Downtown Toronto – Triangle Physiotherapy Queens Quay
- Mississauga Pelvic Health – Triangle Physiotherapy Erin Mills
Book an appointment with one of our pelvic health physiotherapists by CLICKING HERE.