Cervical postural syndrome is a condition in which a person develops a poor posture of the neck which has a cascading effect on the shoulders back and lower back resulting in pain and tightness.
Causes of Cervical Postural Syndrome
Poor posture that is sustained for long periods of time, this becomes the body’s new normal
Changes in muscles activations lead to imbalances
Leads to changes on bones, joints, muscles, tendons, discs
Characteristics of Cervical Postural Syndrome
• Forward head posture
• Protruding chin
• Rounded shoulders
• Slouched upper back
Symptoms of Cervical Postural Syndrome
• Dull ache or burning pain in the neck, back, shoulders
Am I at risk?
• Office workers
• Individuals who are spending hours reading, studying or driving
• Cooks, cleaners, gardeners
What are the long-term implications?
• Jaw problems
• Shoulder impingement and rotator cuff problems
How can I fix this?
• Collaborative approach with a skilled physiotherapist
o Corrective exercise program
o Manual therapies
o Ergonomic adjustments
o Lifestyle changes
If you or anyone you know may be experiencing Cervical Postural Syndrome contact us to book an appointment with one of our Physiotherapists today!