Physiotherapy is the study of science of movements. It is a healthcare profession that includes different treatment modalities like massages, electrotherapy, heat therapy, exercises, patient awareness and advice for treating an ailment, deformity or injury.
When should I go to a Physiotherapist?
This is a very common yet important question. If you have suffered an injury or chronic pain which affects your daily chores then you must consult a good physiotherapist. You can also avail the benefits of Physiotherapy after a surgery, like knee replacement or stroke. At Triangle Physiotherapy, we have a team of dedicated and skilled physiotherapists at eight rehabilitation clinics across the GTA.
What will a Physiotherapist do?
Our experienced Physiotherapists provide case-based solution to your need. These are focused on preventive as well as rehabilitation. Some scenarios where a good Physiotherapist can help –
- Back and neck pain caused due to sprain in the skeleton or muscles
- Conditions like arthritis or after effects of amputation that results in discomfort in joints, muscles, knees and ligaments
- Lung disorders like asthma or bronchitis
- Disability resulting from heart problems
- Troubles occurred during childbirth like pelvic issue, bladder and bowel problems
- Parkinson’s disease and multiple sclerosis or loss of mobility due to trauma to the brain or spine
- Pain, swelling, fatigue, loss of muscle strength and stiffness during palliative care or cancer treatment
What should I expect from my Physiotherapist?
Our trained Physiotherapists at Triangle Physiotherapy provide specific and concerned answers to your core problems. This is what you can expect from your Physiotherapist-
- Your physiotherapist will understand your medical history
- Based on the medical history and symptoms, the physiotherapist will assess and diagnose your condition
- A treatment module will be set for you for your concern
- Specific exercises and assistive devices would be suggested to you based on your module
To understand what all things are done in Physiotherapy, let’s try to learn the various types of treatment modalities used in Physiotherapy.
- Manual Therapy – This technique is a very common one where the physiotherapists massage the affected joints to mobilise and manipulate using his hands. Our team of expert physiotherapists in Toronto are highly equipped and experienced in this therapy.
- Transcutaneous Electric Nerves Stimulation (TENS) Therapy – In this therapy, the physiotherapist uses a small device driven by a battery and place it on the skin surface of the patient. Low grade currents are sent through these electrodes to relive pain of the affected area.
- Magnetic Therapy – This therapy uses electromagnets of different sizes and types. These are used to limit the pain of the affected body part.
- Dry needling and acupuncture – In this therapy, the physiotherapist uses fine needles and insert them into specific body parts to alleviate the pain for a short time. You can consult with our physiotherapists at Etobicoke clinic for this specialised line of treatment.
- Taping – This physiotherapy technique is highly popular as it promotes body’s inherent natural healing mechanism. Here, the physiotherapist uses a tape which lifts the skin away from the connecting tissue, thereby increasing the space and allowing the lymphatic fluid to move more functionally to ease the pain.
- Joint Mobilisation – This is a manual therapy technique where a physiotherapist mobilises the joint at different depths, speeds and amplitudes. It helps in restoring normal joint movement in the body. Our physiotherapists at Lawrence Park clinic are highly equipped and skilled in this technique.
- Stretches and exercises – This is a fairly common module where the physiotherapist teaches different exercises and techniques for body stretching which helps in restoring the joint movements.
- Rehabilitation – This includes a broad range of corrective, preventive and stretching exercises to reduce the sprain or pain in the affected area.
- Strengthening Program – This is one of the most important modalities in physiotherapy where the physiotherapist conducts specific program to make the patient understand about his personal responsibility towards his health and physical conditioning. This program is very useful as it helps the patient in improving overall heath, strength, balance, coordination and flexibility.
- Diathermy – In this technique, electrically induced heat or high-frequency electromagnetic currents are used to relive the pain and cure the condition. Our physiotherapists at North York clinic are efficient and skilled in this technique. If you are facing pain or recovering from a surgery, you can consult us.
- Ultrasound and phonophoresis – A frequency range of 0.5 – 3 MHz is used in this therapeutic ultrasound. This technique induces a deep heat to the target area to treat muscle spasm, promote healing at cellular level and lower the inflammation. It also increases the metabolism and improve the flow of blood towards the damaged tissue. Phonophoresis uses ultrasonic waves for better absorption of drugs that are applied topically during the treatment. This is a very useful technique as it helps in reducing the pain by allowing maximum absorption of drugs like anti-inflammatory and analgesics.
- Range of Motion exercises (RoM) exercises – A good physiotherapist would diagnose the patient and recommend Range of Motion exercises to improve the mobility of joints and reduce the stiffness in the muscles. There are various types of RoM exercises, like Passive Range of Motion (PROM) exercises, Active Assistive Range of Motion (AAROM) exercises and Active Range of Motion (AROM) exercises.
- Soft tissue mobilisation – This highly effective technique in physiotherapy helps in alleviating pain, reducing swelling and relaxing the tight muscles in the body.
To summarise, Physiotherapy is a special treatment to maintain, restore and make the most of a person’s function, mobility, strength and well-being. It helps through various techniques and aid in recovery as well as strengthen the body for w holistic living.
Now that we have established what all is done and expected in Physiotherapy, we would like to hear from you. Please write to us if you have any doubts regarding Physiotherapy. We would be happy to answer you. You can also check our services and locations for any line of treatment.