Isn’t it so unfair?! Last night you were all fine before going to bed but the next morning you woke up with a sore shoulder. The un-invited shoulder pain makes you continuously look back and think of how you might have injured it. Maybe it was an intense dance lesson from last week, a strenuous workout, or even sleeping incorrectly. Not being able to figure it out, you carry on with your day, all the while noticing that something is feeling off.
Also read, Best Physiotherapy Clinic in Etobicoke
Below are a few common reasons that can cause “random” shoulder pain:
- Thoracic Spine Stiffness: The stiffness in the thoracic spine is mainly caused by lack of movement or prolonged sitting, which is more likely to happen since more people are having sedentary jobs. In such cases, we tend to round our shoulders more which eventually puts too much stress on underlying structures.
- Frozen Shoulder: A condition which causes a significant amount of scar tissue to be deposited all around the shoulder capsule, causing a noticeable range of motion restrictions, strength loss, and pain.
- Rotator Cuff Tendonitis: This usually occurs when the rotator cuff tendons in the shoulder are overworked or strained because of an injury. You might even hear a snapping sound when you move your shoulder. Exerting pressure on the shoulder, sleeping incorrectly, and poor shoulder mechanics are some of the causes of this condition.
- Shoulder Impingement: Sleeping on one arm can result in shoulder impingement. Shoulder impingement can also be caused due to excessive shoulder movements, ligament laxity, muscular weakness around the joint, poor posture, previous injury, etc.
- Scapular Dyskinesis: Also known as Chicken wing shoulder blades, this condition causes you to have poor muscular control of your shoulder blades. There can be muscle pain or joint pain around the scapula when carrying heavy objects.
- Referred Pain: Many people come to our physiotherapy clinics complaining about their shoulder pain, but after a thorough examination we realize that the pain is referred from their neck. It is important to see a Physiotherapist that understands this link and treats the right thing!
Also read, Physiotherapy Rehab Clinic in Oakville
A few simple solutions which will give you some relief:
- Avoid intense activities
- Maintain a proper posture
- Don’t sleep with your elbow over your head; this can compress the tendons of the shoulder and increase your pain
We, at Triangle Physiotherapy, will assess your shoulder and create a comprehensive treatment plan for you. Our treatment will involve a combination of hands-on manual therapy techniques as well as a custom exercise plan to help you on your road to recovery. Book your appointment now and stop letting your shoulder prevent you from doing the things you want to do!
Before the weather gets better and we start thinking about getting more active, it’s a good idea to keep some health tips in mind. Anything from a traumatic sports injury to even a minor fall can cause a big issue in our backs. If that happens, it is important to be aware of natural, non-medical remedies that may help. Chiropractors, using spinal adjustments and other forms of hands-on manual treatment, can help you heal without medicine. We have got your back at Triangle Physiotherapy with Chiropractors working out of our King Street West, Oakville, North York and Lawrence Park clinics.
Who is a Chiropractor?
A chiropractor is a trained health care professional who specializes in detecting and treating neuromuscular disorders through manual adjustments. They are skilled in hands-on healthcare to help you with postural restoration, spinal alignment, nervous system function and maintenance of health. Chiropractic care is considered an “alternative treatment” approach as it does not involve taking heavy pain-killing drugs or undergoing surgery.
Also read, Best Physiotherapy Rehab Clinic in Etobicoke
What does a Chiropractor Treat?
Nobody takes better care of your spine than a chiropractor. For many conditions, such as lower back ache, neck pain, sciatica and headache, going to chiropractor is frequently recommended as the primary method of treatment. However, that’s not all they treat. They also treat all other neuromusculoskeletal conditions in the body, ranging from frozen shoulder to a sprained ankle through a manual, rehabilitation-based approach.
Also read, Best Physiotherapy Treatment Clinic in Oakville
Here is some general advice from our Chiropractors:
- Increase your core strength: Build your core muscles by exercising daily and by eating healthy. It will increase your stamina and help you catch yourself to avoid a fall while you travel/hike.
- Stretch regularly: Keep your muscles flexible, it will help you to prevent any injury.
- Take regular breaks at work: Especially when you have a traditional 9-5 desk job, sitting constantly without any movement can get your back and neck in trouble. Get up every 30 minutes and take a 2 minute walk.
- Regularly visit a Chiropractor: Just like you would with your family Physician, inform your Chiropractor about any injury you might have sustained, regardless of how “minor” you think it to be. Even a small wreck can disturb the overall functioning of your body and can lead to long-term unwanted compensations.
- Change your mattress if you always wake up with a back pain: Do you wake up sore or with a backache? It’s time to change your bed mattress. If your mattress is older than 10 years then it might be losing its ability to stabilize your back while you sleep.
Our committed Chiropractors are based out of our Lawrence Park, King Street West, North York and Oakville clinics, all very accessible within Toronto and Oakville. Book an appointment today to begin your journey towards a healthier lifestyle!