Isn’t it so unfair?! Last night you were all fine before going to bed but the next morning you woke up with a sore shoulder. The uninvited shoulder pain makes you continuously look back and think of how you might have injured it. Maybe it was an intense dance lesson from last week, a strenuous workout, or even sleeping incorrectly. Not being able to figure it out, you carry on with your day, all the while noticing that something is feeling off.
Also read, Best Physiotherapy Clinic in Etobicoke
Below are a few common reasons that can cause “random” shoulder pain:
- Thoracic Spine Stiffness: The stiffness in the thoracic spine is mainly caused by lack of movement or prolonged sitting, which is more likely to happen since more people are having sedentary jobs. In such cases, we tend to round our shoulders more which eventually puts too much stress on underlying structures.
- Frozen Shoulder: A condition which causes a significant amount of scar tissue to be deposited all around the shoulder capsule, causing a noticeable range of motion restrictions, strength loss, and pain.
- Rotator Cuff Tendonitis: This usually occurs when the rotator cuff tendons in the shoulder are overworked or strained because of an injury. You might even hear a snapping sound when you move your shoulder. Exerting pressure on the shoulder, sleeping incorrectly, and poor shoulder mechanics are some of the causes of this condition.
- Shoulder Impingement: Sleeping on one arm can result in shoulder impingement. Shoulder impingement can also be caused due to excessive shoulder movements, ligament laxity, muscular weakness around the joint, poor posture, previous injury, etc.
- Scapular Dyskinesis: Also known as Chicken wing shoulder blades, this condition causes you to have poor muscular control of your shoulder blades. There can be muscle pain or joint pain around the scapula when carrying heavy objects.
- Referred Pain: Many people come to our physiotherapy clinics complaining about their shoulder pain, but after a thorough examination we realize that the pain is referred from their neck. It is important to see a Physiotherapist that understands this link and treats the right thing!
Also read, Physiotherapy Rehab Clinic in Oakville
How can I get relief from shoulder pain?
A few simple solutions which will give you some relief are:
- Avoid intense activities
- Maintain a proper posture
- Don’t sleep with your elbow over your head; this can compress the tendons of the shoulder and increase your pain
At Triangle Physiotherapy, will assess your shoulder and create a comprehensive treatment plan for you. Our treatment will involve a combination of hands-on manual therapy techniques as well as a custom exercise plan to help you on your road to recovery. Book your appointment now and stop letting your shoulder prevent you from doing the things you want to do!