Written by Roshni Ravi, Pelvic Health Physiotherapist
Have you ever experienced pain with sex? A burning sensation during or afterwards, a sharp pain or general discomfort? A lot of these symptoms point towards a common condition called dyspareunia. This is also known as pain with intercourse. It is a common condition postpartum, during menopause or even just due to general pelvic floor dysfunction.
But don’t worry, there are ways to alleviate the discomfort and enjoy a fulfilling sex life again! One of the most effective methods is through pelvic health physiotherapy.
Pelvic health physiotherapy involves working with a trained professional to strengthen and stretch the muscles in your pelvic floor, which can become weakened or tight due to a variety of factors. By doing so, you can improve your pelvic floor function and reduce pain during sex.
When it comes to sexual dysfunction, pelvic physiotherapy can be an effective treatment option for women. Pelvic physiotherapy can help address issues such as pain during intercourse, difficulty achieving orgasm, or vaginismus (involuntary contraction of the vaginal muscles).
What does a treatment session entail?
During a pelvic physiotherapy session, you’ll typically undergo an initial evaluation where your therapist will assess your pelvic floor muscles and create a personalized treatment plan. The exercises and techniques used will vary depending on your specific needs and goals, but they may include:
- Pelvic floor relaxation exercises
- Deep breathing
- Yoga based therapy
- Functional strengthening such as squats
- Biofeedback and/or muscle stimulation
It’s important to note that pelvic physiotherapy isn’t a quick fix and may take several sessions to see results. However, with dedication and commitment, it can significantly improve your quality of life and sexual function. So if you’re experiencing dyspareunia, don’t suffer in silence. Talk to your healthcare provider about pelvic physiotherapy and take the first step towards a happier, healthier you.
Where can I find a pelvic health physiotherapist near me?
We have 8 locations with pelvic health physiotherapists to help you.
- Pelvic Health Physiotherapy Etobicoke – Triangle Physiotherapy Etobicoke
- Oakville Pelvic Health – Triangle Physiotherapy Oakville
- Pelvic Health Physiotherapy North York – Triangle Physiotherapy North York
- Mississauga Pelvic Health – Triangle Physiotherapy Mississauga
- Downtown Pelvic Health – Triangle Physiotherapy King West
- Uptown Toronto Pelvic Health – Triangle Physiotherapy Lawrence Park
- Pelvic Physiotherapy Downtown Toronto – Triangle Physiotherapy Queens Quay
- Mississauga Pelvic Health – Triangle Physiotherapy Erin